Saturday, September 10, 2011

What can we do about the new copyright legislation proposed for Canada?

Apparently a person would no longer be able to rip music, even to copy it from a CD you have purchased and put it on your computer for personal use. Should I boot up my older computer and install the current pre-legislation itunes and/or windows media player? If I don't have that one connected to the internet if the proposed legislation goes through, the programs wouldn't update and I'd still be able to copy my music to my computer (and ipod) right?|||You can still copy and transfer for private use, unless you have to break a digital lock to do it.





This is the problem--all of the consumers rights simply disappear if the studio/label starts putting digital locks on everything. That and the requirement for ISPs to invade your privacy whenever a studio of labels demans it are the two biggest flaws in the new law.|||Lobby your MPs and especially the Liberal Party to vote against the bill. Harper needs bipartisan support or the bill collapses.





eta: Actually, I'm not sure that's true -- I saw some dude giving an interview about it and he said they could copy/transfer for private use.

No comments:

Post a Comment